Regional Synod of New York
Position: Synod Area Minister (2)
The Synod of New York has established two part-time staff and is seeking to hire two Synod Area Ministers, one for the northern portion of the Synod (Rockland-Westchester, Orange and Mid-Hudson), and one for the southern portion of the Synod (New York, Queens, Brooklyn and Nassau-Suffolk). The Executive Committee has put in place a Search Committee to fill these positions.
The following is information regarding the positions:
Job Title: Synod Area Minister
Supervisor: The Interim Executive Minister
Part-time Hours: 10 hours per week
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist Interim Executive Minister in providing:
- Pastoral care to ministers
- Work with the Classis and congregations in addressing ministry concerns and opportunities
- Occasional shared responsibilities: Faith Walking, Mediation Team, and Administrative services.
Goals and Expectations:
- Initiate and sustain contact with each pastor within the given Synod area of service
- Be informed of the work of each Classis and provide support, resources and input as requested by the Classis or committee
- Become familiar with resources on a wide range of topics and issues, and make them available when requested by ministers
- Provide occasional opportunities for clergy to get together for things such as: fellowship, prayer, study and professional development.
Education and Work Experience:
- RCA Minister of Word and Sacrament in good standing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and provide appropriate support, encouragement, advice, even when under pressure
- Ability to work independently, carrying out assignments to completion with parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines and standard accepted practices
- Experience of at least 2 years in pastoral leadership and participation in the work of the larger RCA (Classis, and/or Regional Synod, and/or the larger RCA).
If interested, submit the following to the Rev. Conrad J Strauch at firstname.lastname@example.org, Please be sure to include the following in your submission:
- A statement stating your current Classis membership and participation in the life of your Classis
- A short biography focusing on your pastoral work and participation in the life of the RCA
- Listing of any certifications, affiliations or training that would impact your work as a Synod Area Minister
- A short essay on what you see as the gifts / skills you bring to the position
- A short essay on how you envision enacting the responsibilities of the position
- Three references (please be sure to include contact information and your relationship to the person): 2 from congregation(s) you have served or worked with, and 1 from a person in your Classis or other RCA body.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 31, 2021.